Frequently Asked Questions
Table of Contents
- Ordering Process and Shipping
- Fit and Maintenance
- Where to Wear
- Loyalty and Discounts
What is your exchanges and returns policy?
HELM will gladly accept exchanges on unworn and unused HELM footwear within 30 days of purchase and will cover the cost of shipping for all U.S. domestic orders. If you wish to make an exchange, please visit: helm.happyreturns.com and select the "Exchange" option. Choosing this option will allow you to tell us what you'd like to have sent in place of our original order.
- All exchanges must include a proper return authorization number on the shipping box in order to be processed. The RMA number will be assigned at helm.happyreturns.com.
- Exchanges will ship once the original purchase being returned arrives at the HELM Returns Office.
- Footwear must be unworn and in perfect condition in original shoe box. If boots have been worn, we are unable to accept an exchange.
- Gift cards are not eligible to be returned or exchanged.
- Free shipping on all U.S. domestic orders.
- Customer is responsible for shipping and customs on all international exchanges.
HELM will gladly accept returns on unworn and unused HELM products within 30 days of purchase & will cover the return shipping on all U.S. domestic orders over $50 by providing a prepaid return label. If you wish to make a return, please visit: helm.happyreturns.com
- All returns must include a proper return authorization number on the shipping box in order to be processed. The RMA number will be assigned at helm.happyreturns.com.
- Footwear purchase may be refunded within 30 days of the purchase date on the receipt.
- Refunds will be issued in the form of payment used to make the original purchase. Refunds can take up to 3-5 business days to reflect on credit or debit card accounts depending on the bank associated with the card.
- Footwear must be unworn and in perfect condition in original shoe box. If footwear has been worn, we are unable to accept a return.
- Any original shipping costs will not be refunded although we do offer free return shipping on all U.S. domestic orders over $50 by downloading a prepaid shipping label through our returns and exchange portal.
- Customer is responsible for shipping and customs on all international returns.
- Items marked "Final Sale" are ineligible to be returned.
Can you estimate shipping costs for me?
Domestic Shipping via UPS Ground is free on all orders over $50.00. UPS Ground usually takes 3-5 days to arrive from the date your order is shipped from our warehouse. For expedited orders, you have the option to select UPS 2-Day Air, UPS Overnight or USPS Priority at checkout for an added fee.
UPS 2-Day Air will arrive 2 business days after shipment date. UPS Overnight will arrive to you the following business day. USPS Priority varies, and typically arrives within 3-5 business days.
How long is processing before shipment?
Orders typically ship from our warehouse within 2-4 business days. For expedited orders, if you place your order after 1 p.m. CT or on the weekend, your order will ship the next business day. Your order will not ship until payment for the order has cleared.
*Please note processing times may be extended during high traffic times, such as sales and promotions, and during the Holiday season.
I don't live in the United States. Can you ship to me internationally?
Yes, we ship to many countries all around the world! We ship internationally via USPS at a flat rate of $60 USD. Your boots can take up to 4 weeks to arrive depending on the service in your area. Please note that you are responsible for all import duties and import taxes that may apply. We unfortunately have no control over these taxes as each country sets their own rules and laws to be paid by the importer. You can find more information about the estimated import costs here. To place an order to be shipped in Mexico, please email us at email@example.com.
How do your boots fit compared with other boots or running shoes?
Our boots are sized using the Brannock system (the sizing device found in most shoe stores). On each product page we have installed a Fit Predictor in which you can input other shoes and sizes you own that fit you. The Fit Predictor will then provide you a recommendation in HELM.
Most of our boots run similar in size compared to other leather boot and shoe brands. If your foot is measured to be a size 9 on a Brannock device, you will wear a size 9 or 8.5 in HELM depending on the style. Running shoes and sneakers tend to be sized a bit bigger than boots so we suggest sizing down a 1/2 to a full size down from your sneaker size. We wrote an in-depth guide to sizing here to help! We also offer free exchanges for un-worn boots so that you are able to find your perfect fit.
Can HELM be resoled?
Yes they can and you have the ability to resole with any of the 5 different soles that we offer. Please check out our Resole Program here for more information as well as starting the process on your resole.
What is the best way to maintain my boots?
We have an ideal blend of products we recommend per style. These products keep your pair looking fresh and healthy:
- Blackrock Leather 'N Rich: Our best-selling leather conditioner; conditions and hydrates leather. Good for eliminating scuffs and creases, and a faster break-in time.
- Pure Polish (pigmented and non-pigmented polishes): Colored polish revises the color in your footwear and belts. High Shine Boot Wax will keep your footwear looking its best without affecting the color.
- Otter Wax Leather Sealant: seals out and repels moisture, keeping your leather healthy. Reapply when water no longer beads after it hits treated spots.
When taking care of suede footwear, these products can help protect and clean:
- Shoe Keeper - Suede Protector Spray: Easy-to-use spray protects your fine suede and nubucks from stains and damage.
- Otter Wax Suede Cleaner: A nourishing alcohol-free treatment suitable for use on all types of suede and nubuck to remove stains, blemishes, and odors.
- Tampico Suede Brush: A versatile brush that's great to have since it can be used to clean a wide variety of fabrics, leathers, and suedes. Natural bristles are relatively stiff, allowing to scrub away dirt and debris, but soft enough to not scratch leather or pull at the threads of fabric.
Here are some other helpful accessories:
- Cedar Shoe Trees: our shoe trees help keep your footwear looking its best by absorbing moisture between wears, and during longer periods of storage.
- HELM Shop Rag: Made of 100% indigo cotton, this cloth is a great companion when using waxes, polishes, and sealants.
Select add to cart to see conveniently recommended care products for each pair of HELM footwear. Note: pop-up blockers must be disabled in order to see HELM's recommendations.
For a deeper dive in the process, visit our Maintenance section.
What happens if I spill something on my boots? What can I do?
Boots can receive some of the hardest wear and tear out of all the things we own. Your best bet is to protect your boots with a boot wax before the stains or spills occur. If your boots need to be cleaned, many water-based stains can be treated with saddle soap. When using saddle soap, we advise removing your laces and treating the entire boot as the soap can change the color of the leather. For oil based stains, we would suggest taking your boots to a local cobbler in your area. For light color or teak color boots, we also suggest working with your local cobbler. They can usually touch up or color match boots. If all else fails, don't fret because your boots are still in good working order. Add some polish and a fresh set of laces and embraces the unique story of your boot's journey.
I work in wood shop, welding shop, machine shop, or outdoors in forested areas. Can I wear these to work?
Yes, you can certainly work in our boots, but do note that they aren’t built with steel toes, reinforced stitching, or other essentials that are needed to make them OSHA rated. We design our boots to be used both professionally and casually and our customers send us photos of themselves using them for a wide range of things. Any heavy labor or construction work in our boots will certainly speed up time needed in between resoles or repairs.
I ride a motorcycle or like to skateboard in my HELM. What can I expect?
We love our motorcycle and skateboard HELM customers! It is up to you what you do in your boots but motorcycle riding and skateboarding will certainly speed up the time needed in between resoles. Our boots are designed for a variety of activities but are not reinforced for extreme street use.
I am a woman and want to wear HELM. What size should I order?
Although we do not have any boots sized specifically for women, we have started expanding our size range down to a men's size 6 to accommodate more sizes across the board. We suggest sizing down 1 1/2 sizes from your normal shoe size. If you are women's size 8 1/2 then we suggest ordering a HELM size 7.
I see your boots are designed in Austin but where are they made?
We began making our boots in Istanbul, Turkey in 2009. By 2012, as our production needs and design influence changed, we partnered with manufacturers in Maine and Arkansas who could execute that vision. Now, as we continue to innovate our styles and increase our production, we’ve partnered with an additional family-owned factory in Brazil with a 35-year history of handcrafting boots, to bring a portion of our new styles into the lineup. Most of our full-grain leather is sourced from Texas hides.
Can I get a custom boot?
We unfortunately are not able to take on custom orders at this time. We can however customize any sole on our boots via Resole Program. For every HELM boot, we offer the opportunity to resole your boot at any time. Some people opt to resole their boots with their original purchase while others wait until they wear through the current sole. All boots arrive to us already completed as you see them on our website. Do you have an idea for a new style? We're always curious to know what our customers want to see next! Send us an email to let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I read that HELM constructs boots with Blake Rapid-Stitch Welting. What does that mean?
Blake Rapid Stitch, or what we call a Blake Welt Stitch, means we stitch the midsole through the innersole and then use a rapid machine to stitch an outsole to the midsole on the outside edge. The same machine and similar process is used when constructing with a Goodyear Welt, which requires the addition of a welt to apply the boot upper to the sole. Both methods are water-resistant. Water might get in if you submerge your foot, however it will not get in just by walking in the rain or through puddles. For more information, please refer to Boots 101 on the website.
I've owned a pair of HELM for more than a year and I have an issue with them. What do I do?
Boots are made to be worn and with that wear there are some expected repairs. When small issues related to wear occur, we recommend taking your HELM to a trusted cobbler who can aid you. If an issue - big or small - occurs within the first three months of ownership, please contact us at email@example.com and let us know so we can assess whether it is a wear-related issue or a quality control issue. Please tell us the date of purchase and attach a picture of the issue.
Do you have a loyalty program?
You bet we do. The HELM Crew is free to join, and it's your ticket to savings, exclusive access, sneak peeks, and unique experiences. You start earning Crew Points with your first purchase.
Every dollar spent earns you at least one Crew Point. We'll give you 100 points just for signing up, and more points for engaging with the community.
Being in the Crew isn't just about saving. You'll be among the first to know about sales, new releases, and exclusive events.
The perks get bigger at our VIP HELMSMEN Tier, including a password-protected private shopping experience, wear-testing raffles, and design feedback on future products.
How do I redeem my Crew Points in the loyalty program?
In order to redeem Crew Points, you must first register an account on our site. Once you've created an account and logged in, navigate to your "My Account" page to see how many points you've earned, and whether you're eligible for points redemption. If you're eligible, click Redeem and your Rewards and Reviews Portal will open. Navigate to "Redeem" and then to the category you wish to redeem, where you've become eligible.
WAYS TO EARN
- Create an Account: 100 points
- Birthday Bonus (early): 200 points
- Submit A Review: 50 points
- Follow on Instagram: 50 points
- Follow on TikTok: 50 points
- Per $1 spent: 1 point
WAYS TO REDEEM
- $10 off: 250 Crew Points
- $25 off: 500 Crew Points
- $50 off: 750 Crew Points
- $100 off: 1000 Crew Points
- $250 off: 2000 Crew Points
Do you offer discounts for military, first responders, and teachers?
Does HELM have an affiliate program?
HELM is a part of the Kutoku Affiliate Program providing commissions to publishers such as influencers, bloggers, and online magazines for referred sales on any products.
To join the program, click here and fill out the application. If your application is approved, you'll immediately begin earning commissions for every confirmed referral sale.
Not ready to join our affiliate network but want to earn discounts for referring friends? Check out our referral page here.